I’m sure there are quite a few posts out there on “what we can learn from our pets”, but I wanted to do my own take on it. Everything you need to learn in life, you can learn from your dog! I do not have any dogs, but luckily I have roommates and teammates who do, so it’s basically the same thing! 😉 Here are the 10 things that I think we can learn from our pups!
1. Take every opportunity to run. There’s a lot of reasons why we should run more (like losing weight, getting an energy boost, sleeping better, etc.), but dogs don’t care about any of that. They run because they can!
2. Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy ride. Other than the obvious joy of sticking your head out the car window and allowing your tongue to hang freely in the wind, taking random drives to clear our mind can be good for us.
3. When loved ones come home, always run to greet them. Some dogs will do the “jump around and tackle you” greeting, while others go straight to the licking. Either way, they never fail to greet you with excitement and love…whether you were gone for minutes or days. I don’t think your loved ones would appreciate you licking them, but hey – it’s the thought that counts!
4. Accept yourself. Never pretend to be anything you’re not. We don’t see Pomeranians wishing they were Boxers… Dogs don’t care what other dogs think! They are just themselves.
5. Take every opportunity to nap. Who doesn’t love a good nap?! Napping is a great way to relieve some stress… If you want proof, think about this – Do you ever see dogs popping anxiety pills? I didn’t think so. Never underestimate the power of a good nap.
These pics reminded me of the good ol’ days as kids when we could fall asleep anywhere, in any position.
6. When you’re happy, dance around and wag your entire body. “If you’re happy and you know it, then you really ought to show it…” Show it! We know our dogs circle around and jump up and down when they hear the word “treat”. Wouldn’t it be fun if we all got that excited over something? There’s so much in life to “jump for joy” about.
7. Always kiss the ones who are mad at you to make it better. Dogs love us unconditionally. Even if you’ve just yelled at them, they’re still dying to give you sloppy, wet kisses! And they also forgive you instantly no matter what you’ve done.
8. Give and accept love with every breath. Dogs don’t play hard to get – When they love you, they show you. From laying their heads on our laps while we are watching a movie to barking and running wildly when we take them outside, they never fail to show us their love every day.
9. Never pass up the chance to snuggle. Next time you have a little wiggle room on the couch, share it! I mean, what’s better than having a cuddle buddy to share your popcorn with while you watch a movie…(other than the sharing your popcorn part)?
10. Listen attentively and don’t offer solutions. Make the time to lend an ear to those you love, but don’t necessarily try to fix their problems. We don’t always need to rush to comfort our friends/family; we just need to be there. Sometimes, sitting quietly while a friend talks is all that’s needed.
Reginald’s (AKA Reggie) Owner: Haley Scaman (Pics taken from her Instagram account – @hscaman)
Penelope’s Owner: Madison Mooring (Pics taken from her Instagram accounts – @princesspfrenchie and @maddogmooring)
Tyson’s Owner: Erica Brewer (Pics taken from her Instagram account – @erica_brewer)
Olaf’s Owner: Rebecca Clark (Pic taken by ME, but go ahead and follow her Instagram account – @becca93sue)
Avery’s Owner: Maile’ana Kanewa (Pic taken from her Instagram accounts – @christian_avery_grey and @maileanakanewa)